Saturday 17 May 2014

Seven Steps to Stability - Step 6: Exercise



MHAW 2014
This is an interesting one, and actually exercise wasn't something I was initially going to include in my Seven Steps to Stability.  Reason being, putting it simply, that I don't play competitive sport at all or go to the gym.  It's just not for me and never has been, despite my school trying to force me to play rugby for five years.

The only thing I've ever really done consistently exercise-wise is walking, but even this became difficult after the 2011 incident.  I remember once walking on my own around in the rural area around where my parents live (and where I lived at the time) and because I was on my own and a fair while from home, given I only had my feet to take me places, I started panicking that I wasn't able to get out of the situation.  I had a mini panic attack on my walk back and as such it was difficult to differentiate between the feelings of this and the physical effects of the gentle incline back to home.

Anyway, overall, walking and trying to increase the amount I do has been a really good way of helping my anxiety.  It allows you to process thoughts, which sometimes is the last thing you need, but other times it allows you to gather them and in fact make them more rational.  In the meantime, you're getting good exercise. 

The other problem I had around this time was, linked to health anxiety, the fear of what more vigorous exercise may do to the heart rate, especially when you factor in the medication.  Although I was reassured that doing exercise wasn't affected by the medication, believing this is easier said than achieved when you have health anxiety.  So, walking was good exercise, but not particularly anxiety inducing.  And, needless to say, it got easier over time, so I was able to go walking and enjoy it.

I'm fortunate that one of my friends I mention in blog 4 also likes walking, so we often go on significant hikes in our nearby rural area.

The other thing I started just after this incident was swimming. I hated swimming at school for two reasons; 1) the pool was full of slime and 2) the competitive element again.  I hated all PE at school, but I'd heard from various sources that swimming was quite a good way of alleviating anxiety.  Again, you could control the amount of severity you put into it and how far you did with no pressure, as well as it being good exercise and different exercise to walking.  So I reluctantly started and haven't looked back.  It was hard, both physically and mentally at first, but I knew I had to increase my exercise levels. 

Since then, I have got more out of swimming than I had anticipated.  I have met some really great people whilst doing this, most of whom I see every time I go.  I go early in the mornings before work, twice a week if I can.  Now I commute a reasonable distance it would have been easy to stop, but these people have kept me going and I now look forward to going as a result.  Such is the nature of swimming at similar times each week, you will see the same people and chances are some of them will be like minded.  But this social element has done as much for my recovery as the exercise I get from swimming itself, and I would wager others would get the same experience, if they let it happen.

Walking and swimming are great.  They give you good exercise, improve your social life and help you to forget about the anxieties in your life.  I would definitely recommend it.  The worst thing you can do when you have anxiety is to sit around and dwell on your thoughts that's experience talking.  It takes you away from the modern era of screens too; social networking, which in some cases can do more harm than good. 

Let's just hope, as I mentioned in another blog recently, in the case of walking, we still have plenty of places to walk in years to come.

Last blog of MHAW to come: the theme is helping others.

Best wishes
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment